Tolomato Cemetery Tour
This Catholic cemetery, located on the site of an early 18th-century Franciscan Indian mission, dates back to St. Augustine’s early history. Public access to the Tolomato Cemetery is limited to the third Saturday of each month, when guided tours are given from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
There are Spanish, Cuban, Greek, Menorcan, African, Irish, and Haitian foks It was buried in Tolomato Cemetery. It was closed to burials in 1884.
The Tolomato Cemetery served as the parish cemetery for what is now the Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine for over 100 years. there are aproximately 1,000 St. Augustinians buried in the cemetery, but there are only about 100 grave markers. The Cathedral parish and the Diocese of St. Augustine still maintain and protect the cemetery.
The Bishop Agustin Verot, the first Bishop of St. Augustine, Governor Enrique White, who served during the Second Spanish Period, and General George Biassou of Haiti are just a few of the historically important peope buried there. Also buried here are the first Sisters of St. Joseph and Civil War soldiers from both sides of the conflict, including freed men who fought for the Union.
Father Felix Varela of Cuba, who published the first Spanish-language newspaper in the U.S., was buried at Tolomato in 1853. The distinctive small white building in the cemetery is built in his honor.
Admission is free, but donations are encouraged.
When? The cemetery is open to the public free of charge on the third Saturday of each month, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Where? The Tolomato Cemetery is located at 16 Cordova St. in St. Augustine.
Please visit here for more information.
Book your room at the Carriage Way Inn Bed and Breakfast today!