Current Specials and Packages
September Lures Lovers to Renew Vows and Rekindle Romance. Every week in September, Sunday - Thursday; the Carriage Way Bed and Breakfast is offering a 'Sweetheart' rate, for a getaway in romantic St. Augustine:
- Stay two nights and your second night is half price
- Stay three nights and your third night is on us!
- Whether celebrating a birthday, toasting an anniversary or renewing your vows, September in St. Augustine is perfect for the art of Amore.
Be sure to check out our website for other specials and special packages.
Happenings at the Inn in September
September is considered and off peak month for visiting St. Augustine and a good time to enjoy the oldest city without the crowds. The evenings are getting cooler and fall concert season kicks off at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre. Take advantage of our September special and take in a dinner and concert at one of the country's premier outdoor venues.
SAIRA Food and Wine Festival
The St. Augustine Independent Restaurant Association will be holding their annual Food and Wine Festival. This is a very popular event and participants have the opportunity to enjoy delicacies and over 100 different wines from 18 restaurants in the area.
When: September 30th
Time: 1 - 5 p.m.
Where: The River House, 179 Marine Street
Cost: $50 per person
Best Bets for September:
- September 3rd - Concert in the Plaza Labor Day Celebration
- September 6th - Train performs at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 7th - First Friday Art Walk
- September 7th - 9th - 447th Menendez Founders Day Events
- September 8th - Re-enactment and Special Mass Commemorating the 447th Anniversary of Menendez's Founding of St. Augustine
- September 8th - October 7th - Big River at the Limelight Theatre
- September 9th - Jethro Tull performs at the St Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 9th - Crisp-Ellert Gallery Exhibit
- September 12th - Citizen Cope Concert at the Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
- September 13th - 15th - Florida Heritage Book Festival
- September 13th and 14th - Brantley Gilbert performs at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 21st - Jethro Tull performs at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 22nd - Endless Summer Run 10K XC and 5K Walk
- September 22nd - Blondie and Devo perform at the St Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 23rd - 2012 Car Show at TPC Sawgrass
- September 25th - Ben Solee performs at Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
- September 25th - Stevie Nicks performs at St Augustine Amphitheatre
- September 28th - Keiko Matsui Concert at Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
- September 29th - Uptown Saturday Night
- September 29th - EMMA Concert Series: Jack Daniel's Original Silver Cornet Band
- September 29th - Sunset/Moonrise Tour of the St. Augustine Lighthouse
- September 30th - SAIRA Food and Wine Festival
- September 30th - Joe Cocker with Dave Mason perform at the St. Augustine Amphitheatre
Recipes and Tips
New Cookbook Request: We have more than five dozen new recipes, but we still need a few more as we put together the second cookbook that features the best family recipes from our guests here at the Carriage Way. The cookbook will have one recipe on a page and we would like you to provide a short story that complements the recipe. Send us only your best and if we print your recipe, we will send you a complimentary copy. Thank you Barbara for your Sausage Stew Recipe.
Jeanie made this delicious desert for a neighborhood social this week and it is a winner!
German Chocolate Pecan Bars
3 cups pecan halves and pieces
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup powdered sugar
3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1- 3/4 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chunks
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake pecans in a single layer for 8-10 minutes on jelly roll pan until lightly toasted, stirring halfway through. Line a 13x9 inch glass baking dish with aluminum foil, allowing enough foil to lap over the sides and lightly grease the foil. Lightly mix flour, sugar, cold butter and unsweetened cocoa until it resembles coarse meal. Press the crust mixture on bottom and 3/4 up the sides of the foiled dish. Bake curst at 350 degrees for 15 minutes and then sprinkle chocolate chunks over crust and cool completely for about 30 minutes. Whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, melted butter and eggs until smooth. Stir in coconut and toasted pecans and spoon into the prepared crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 - 45 minutes or until golden brown and set. Cool for 1 hour on a wire rack and then chill for 1 hour. Lift bars from pan using the foil sides and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into bars.
Housekeeping tip: Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to the inside of your candle stick holder, so the candle pops out easier.
Inn the Know:
Casa Maya has reopened their doors in a new location
Casa Maya is one of our favorite restaurants and has recently reopened in a larger building, which is directly across the street from their previous spot on Hypolitha Street. Serving up the same great food with a beautiful ambiance with options for indoor and outdoor seating.
Upcoming Concert Schedule
St. Augustine Amphitheatre
TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
- Train - 9/6
- Brantley Gilbert - 9/13
- Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - 9/21
- Blondie and Devo - 9/22
- Stevie Nicks - 9/25
- Joe Cocker and Dave Mason - 9/30
- O.A.R. - 10/12